MONITOR SPRING ISSUE 1972          - Page Two -

      eventually Radio 390 as we were informed that they were definitely inside the limit
      and Shivering Sands were boarded.
           I went on the towers a few weeks after transmissions started and was petrified 
      by the climb up the ladders.  Occasionally I used to go out in the boat but never 
      went on board again until Good Friday, 1966.  Meanwhile things had slowly improved 
      but I wasn't very involved with things until my second visit.  Reg had asked me to 
      take over administration of broadcasting while he still handled the technical side.  
      On that trip there was a hoist to go up to the towers, that absolutely terrified me
      and how I managed to hold a conversation with Ian MacRae afterwards, I don't know.  
      After talking to Ian while he was on the air and watching the procedure and then
      going over with Tom Edwards how things worked, I went back and literally thought up
      Format Radio.  Having been in the pop world so long was a big help in understanding 
      what I felt was required of pop radio and luckily it worked very well.
           Of course the event that really put Radio City on the map was my husband's 
      death, the news flashed round the world but my world was shattered.  If Radio City 
      had disappeared at the same time I think I should have completely lost my mind but 
      in the face of such a tragedy other people's welfare just had to come first.  Radio 
      City had to go back on the air and I was determined that no one else should take 
      over.  The people around me at that time were wonderful, I expected them to give of 
      their best and they were determined to make Radio City the best.  We immediately 
      extended the hours of transmission and "Auntie Mabel" was born.  Ian MacRae and 
      Alan Clark really worked over that programme and everyone was pulled into the Christ-
      mas pantomime.  If we had had more time I wonder just how far we would have evolved.  
      Time was short, it hung over my Christmas and in January I was served with a summons, 
      what a waste of talent.  What a travesty of justice, what an indictment of Britain
      when in the two cases I was personally involved in such a mockery was made of every-
      thing I believed that British Justice stood for.  How I wish now that I had used 
      Radio City to expose the truth of those events but if I had tried I wonder what 
      would have happened.  I am still here and working hard but how and when would I have 
      been silenced if I'd spoken out then.
           By the way, Candy was the first girl disc jockey, she was thirteen at the time, 
      and she went out over the air in the May 1964 - she did broadcast after that from 
      time to time during her school holidays.  She sends hereregards too, to everyone
      that she has met.  Tamara is now married and has a baby boy".

                                                                SIGNED: DOROTHY CALVERT

      Over now to Alan Clark:

           "When asked to write something on Radio City I was requested to make it an "in 
      depth" account,  I'm not sure that this will match up to that requirement, but I do 
      hope it proves interesting to people who used to enjoy the often erratic, but always 
      friendly Tower of Power.  Of the five radio stations I've worked for, City was 
      certainly the most enjoyable and so this article will, at least, give me a chance to 
      sound off on one of my favourite subjects! Of course there were one or two unfortu-
      nate, even tragic incidents during City's history, but I'll start with how I became 
      involved with the station on Shivering Sands.
           I had left school in July 1965, and in September that year happened to hear an 
      announcement over Radio City asking for would-be DJs to send in audition tapes.  For 
      some reason, possibly visions of fame and fortune I decided to apply.  I had never 
      done any Disc Jockey work of any kind, and didn't know the first thing about radio 
      deejaying.  However, a tape of sorts was produced on domestic equipment and hopefully 
      submitted.  Imagine my surprise and delight when the letter replying mentioned my 
      possible "suitability" and "would I come out to the station for a trial period"?
           I arrived at City's local office in Oxford Street, Whitstable and met American 
      DJ Rick Michaels and the owner of the record shop which served as City's Whitstable 
      base, Eric Martin (not to be confused with DJ Eric Martin).  This was the beginning 
      of sixteen months of thrills and spills on 299!
           Later, Idiscovered that it was City's policy to augment the crew with "trial 
      DJs" from time to time who were hauled out for a couple of weeks and then paid off 
      with expenses.  The same thing happened to me.  After a period on the fort, Reg 
      drove me back to London, gave me 5 for expenses, and said goodbye.  But, having 
      had a taste of life on the ocean wave, I pestered the London office - Reg Calvert
      and his secretary Jill Wileman, almost daily until they gave in and gave me a regular 
      job, probably just to keep me quiet.  Luckily for me, but unfortunately for others, 
      Reg had just carried out a series of sackings, and so the vacancies were there.  Ian 
      MacRae, later to be part of the notorious Auntie Mabel team was also brought in 
      shortly afterwards.
           The DJs on City when I first went out were Alex Dee, Chris Cross, Paul Elvey, 
      Dennis the Menace, Rick Michaels and a newcomer by the name of Tom Edward, who soon

      « « « to the previous page                                     to the next page » » »

            to the "Monitor Originals" index page ...


                                                 ... to the Monitor Magazine home page